Back Forum Reply New

Looking for a good cheap amplifier

I've been thinking about improving the music system in the garage. I don't want to hunt down a vintage amp to put in there, as the place is not climate controlled, sound quality isn't too important, and if it got broken, I don't want to lose sleep over it.

So, any ideas for a cheapo BPC tuner/amp? Speakers aren't an issue.

How about one of Nad's receivers? Very good sound, especially from the tuner section, and the receiver versions of Nad's amps seem to be much less sought after than amps like the 3020 or 3100, even though the amplifier sections in the receivers are exactly the same as the ones in the integrated amps. They are available used at all power levels from the 7020 at 20 Wpc to the 7400 at 150 Wpc. And if it should break down, the world is full of used Nad amps from the 80's...

Great, if I could find one...

Why not just go looking around for a cheap receiver at all usual places?

i'm looking for a good, cheap, soundcraftsmen ma-2501 power amp. seriously, you can get a nice, smaller, vintage receiver at thrift stores, pawn shops, AK, ebay, etc. for a lot cheaper than a new BPC and comparable to a used one. you'll be glad you did!

Well, actually the thrift stores around here are charging out the ass for most vintage receivers.

I wouldn't want to put one in that garage anyway, cos it would take some abuse.

Then you could always go to Best Buy and buy the cheapest new receiver they have, or maybe find one on an open box deal.

BTW, so what if it's a vintage receiver if the price is right? It's not like you're going to put the SX-1980 out there.

I have an Onkyo TX-4000 that stays in my unheated, uninsulated garage 24/7/365 and it's been just fine for a couple years now.

BTW, I live in MN so it has seen some fair extremes of temperature.

Hit the yard sales amp; flea markets............
A $10 yard sale Nikko S-5055 receiver is doing basement duty.

Steve

Maybe if you put your location in your profile you might get a pm. Carl

Yea, garage sale or Ebay. Sometimes search for local sellers to save on shipping. I picked up a Dual Servo Int Amp Onkyo A-25 for $24 - and I was able to take a look at it before I handed over the cash.

Check your local CL. The one here often has used Pro amps for cheap. They are designed to handle massive abuse and would survive your garage just fine.

Originally Posted by MRX37I've been thinking about improving the music system in the garage. I don't want to hunt down a vintage amp to put in there, as the place is not climate controlled, sound quality isn't too important, and if it got broken, I don't want to lose sleep over it.

So, any ideas for a cheapo BPC tuner/amp? Speakers aren't an issue.

Define cheap,
Just what price range did you have in mind?

The NAD 3020 is a great suggestion. Nice fidelity, its a workhorse, and they can be had relatively cheap.

I've used an SX-650, a Kenwood KR719, and at the moment I have my 1050 out there, since I put a dehumidifier in there. No issues during the summer, but I take the stuff inside once it dips below 40 in the winter.

I heard the cheapo Sony receiver you get at bb hooked up some warm Klipsch KG 2's with with the soft dome tweeter. Excellent....
Probably not, with an average speaker.

Originally Posted by glen65Define cheap,
Just what price range did you have in mind?

Say, $25.00.

More importantly though is it's something common.
¥
Back Forum Reply New