Back Forum Reply New

what are good equalizers for aging ears

Recently picked up a fully functional Rotel RTC850 preamp, reasonable (actually way better) replacement for my crappy adcom which basically was never right and finally more or less blew up and caused a Focal speaker repair too. I had the speaker repaired locally by a wizard; Focal offered to do it for $100  plus shipping- pretty good service.

the Rotel is better enough that the gain adjustments on bass and treble are very small, and there is a switch to turn them off. then I found out the difference in quality of various types of recordings- wow what a difference in qualities. and some of my LP's sound better than the cd's,  mostly for authenticity and colour. A new dvd/cd player has a mode to divert all processing to cd only, not too bad compared to the sony cep375. still not great compared to some analogue stuff.

however, my aging abused ears would like a little more top end and I wondered what eq's are considered of reasonable quality, and are any new ones decent? I have become highly suspicious of anything made after about 1990 that doesn't cost a fortune, and am looking at used equipment.

thanks, brian

Hi Brian,

I use a Behringer digiatal EQ (DEQ2496) between the sources and preamp.  CD/DVD connect digitally, tuner analog.  You can save and easily recall different curves or overlay several curves and has other pro type functions.  It also has a mic input and will do automatic EQ'ing to a target curve.  There's a fair bit of info on the web.  Cost if quite reasonable.

Have fun,
John

Denon DE-70. You also get the dynamic amp; expander processor in the unit.

I don't use an equalizer in my system.
That said, I could not turn down a like-new ADC Sound Shaper Mark VIII that I found at a yard sale for $10.
I was very impressed with the ease of use and flexibility of the ADC EQ.
I wouldn't hesitate to grab one if you see one cheap enough.

Steve

Originally Posted by nerdoramaHi Brian,

I use a Behringer digiatal EQ (DEQ2496) between the sources and preamp.  CD/DVD connect digitally, tuner analog.  You can save and easily recall different curves or overlay several curves and has other pro type functions.  It also has a mic input and will do automatic EQ'ing to a target curve.  There's a fair bit of info on the web.  Cost if quite reasonable.

Have fun,
John

I second John's suggestion. Seems like its a very well liked piece of gear. I had an older Behringer EQ that I really liked. This is a piece of gear I may actually buy one day!

The question is here, is related to degrading the signal. You can obviously tell the difference bypassing tone controls. There is a good chance adding them elsewhere is going to give the same issue. I would try real hard to audition something before you buy.

You may want to try different cables between your preamp/power amp as well. Many companies offer an in home trial. If your using an adcom amp, I might suggest auditioning amps.

Evan

Look for a Soundcraftsman. These are rather plentiful, very well constructed and very inexpensive.  They had 2 limbs, the equalizers and equalizer/preamps.10 sliders per channel and ability to set the gain to unity so you do not over drive the amp.

Also, there is the JVC S.E.A. 5 band equalizer that is a pull from their receiver line of the '70s.  A somewhat rare unit is the Advent and there are a number of units form other makers but I prefer the Soundcraftsman as it is studio quality.

i've read enough about the behringer unit that i think i will soon acquire one.  the room equalization feature seems totally badass and the internal DAC is said to be second to none unless you go way up the $$ scale.

The Pioneer SG-9500 works very well for me.

I'll second the ADC Sound Shaper.  I have a SSII Mk 1 from circa 1980 that I picked up for $17 on that auction site.  It's transparent--I don't hear any signal degradation with with the EQ on and sliders set to zero--and the 12 band controls are sensitive and easy to use.  The build quality is high with all metal parts and imo, rather stylish.  I don't use it often as I find my pre-amp eq to good for my needs these days, but I'm not going to sell the ADC.

I have a Sansui SE 7 EQ connected to a no-tone-control preamplifier. It's a fine piece of gear and now I enjoy my otherwise dull system.
I also know the SE 9 was a better one.
I'm 52 and I've a noticeable loss of hearing at high frequencies. I love my EQ

Originally Posted by pioneervatoThe Pioneer SG-9500 works very well for me.

I also like the Pioneer SG-9500.  

You might consider picking up a Realistic 10 or 12 band equalizer.  They can be found in silver or black on ebay for not much money.  I've had a Realistic 31-2018A since the mid 80s and it still works perfectly. Realistic made fairly inexpensive low profile units that work great.

Something to consider if you are missing higher frequencies is the capacitors in the crossovers in your speakers.  If your speakers are 20 years old and have electrolytic caps, an upgrade to polypropylene caps will really make them come alive on the top end.  This is a pretty easy do-it-yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron.

East coast speakers.

[If your using an adcom amp, I might suggest auditioning amps.

Evan[/QUOTE]

i have always hated my adcom preamp and it blew up, see post.
got a Rotel 850 , aaaahhhh, but the sound is so faithful my older ears need boost of high end on soem recordings.

Originally Posted by Doctor B.I also like the Pioneer SG-9500.  

You might consider picking up a Realistic 10 or 12 band equalizer.  They can be found in silver or black on ebay for not much money.  I've had a Realistic 31-2018A since the mid 80s and it still works perfectly. Realistic made fairly inexpensive low profile units that work great.

Something to consider if you are missing higher frequencies is the capacitors in the crossovers in your speakers.  If your speakers are 20 years old and have electrolytic caps, an upgrade to polypropylene caps will really make them come alive on the top end.  This is a pretty easy do-it-yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron.

I recently - two years ago - replaced the caps with expensive european caps that brought imy JMlabs Focal speakers back to life- now some sources like cd are not as good as a record or the tuner, which supplies more top end for some reason. some analog to cd are ok though, so i'd like the option to adjust for the crappy recordngs.

I use a Behringer digiatal EQ (DEQ2496)........................

add me to this camp.

Consider that all filtering is done in the digital realm with no added audible noise or harmonics, a large library of custom presets, and a quality 1/3 octave true RTA that can be used as a design and engineering tool as well allow you to tune your system for truly flat in room response if your system and room are adequate.
¥
Back Forum Reply New